The Ultimate Guide to Mummy Makeovers
The “Mummy Makeover” procedure was introduced as a new concept in the last decade, to describe a combination of surgical procedures and has since become a big trend.
Even during the Covid-19 pandemic, it has kept gaining popularity, evolving into one of the most requested cosmetic surgery procedures. At Reflect Clinic we are delighted to receive a high volume of requests for mummy makeovers which we perform on a weekly basis, Our team has many years’ experience in this area, thus making us one of the most popular clinics for makeovers in the UK.
So, what is a “mummy makeover” procedure? Am I the right candidate for this operation? How long do I need to stay in the hospital for? All these and much more are covered below:
What is a “mummy makeover” procedure?
It is a combination of surgical procedures that are designed to return a woman to her pre-pregnancy body. It is a whole-body re-contouring concept and commonly we combine a surgical procedure to the tummy along with breast surgery to address loose skin and breast droopiness.
What is the effect of pregnancy on the female body?
A number of women see a series of permanent changes even after one pregnancy, but more pronounced changes are expected after multiple pregnancies. Despite all the efforts with healthy eating, exercising, expert skin care or even non-surgical techniques, the female body might never return to the pre-pregnancy state.
- The abdominal skin stretches quite a lot during the nine months gestation period and this can result in intense stretch marks, loose skin folds and low confidence. It is a fact that all women coming to see us in the clinic say that they would never wear a bikini on the beach!
- On top of that, the muscles at the central part of the tummy (called the rectus abdominis) also stretch significantly, resulting in decreased abdominal tone and a very weak middle line, sometimes giving the impression of a hernia (internal organs sticking out through the skin)
- During and after pregnancies, hormonal and diet changes can lead to increased fat deposits, altering the shape of your body. Often women complain about fat pockets in the tummy area, around the waist and in the flanks that they never used to have before the kids and which they are now struggling to lose!
- The breasts get a massive hormonal hit during this time with the effect of hormones such as progesterone and prolactin, they will grow in size and weight, putting the breast tissue and ligaments under tremendous pressure.
- Once breastfeeding is over, especially after multiple times, the breasts can be left deflated and significantly droopier with areola and nipple changes and will definitely have a different look compared with their pre-pregnancy state.
Before and after mummy makeover procedures
Mummy Makeover: Typical Before and After pictures
So how can a mummy makeover address all these changes?
So here is the beauty of the mummy makeover concept. It is not a one-size-fits-all approach but totally the opposite. At Reflect Clinic we fully customise your surgery to your particular needs, to your wishes and to meet your expectations.
- The breast surgery in these cases is again totally tailored to your needs. Some ladies might need just a breast augmentation with breast implants, a breast lift (mastopexy), a combined lift with breast implants (mastopexy-augmentation), a breast reduction or even more complex combinations for extreme cases.
- Loose skin in the tummy is usually treated and tightened with a full abdominoplasty which will also remove the stretch marks below the belly button. In some cases, we need only perform a mini tummy-tuck and we will know for sure only after your consultation.
- During a tummy tuck we also strengthen your recti muscles and correct the big gap between them, which will tone your core, and add to a new shaped waistline.
- Stubborn fat pockets are removed with liposuction and common areas to treat would be the flanks, the back and the abdomen.
Mummy Makeover Max™
We regularly perform other combinations and/or additional cosmetic surgery, as long as you are in good health which we have called the “Mummy Makeover Max™”
We are more than happy to discuss other concerns that you may have and assess if they can be corrected while you are asleep during your mummy makeover.
- We very often treat other areas with stubborn fat, such as the thighs, the knees, the bra line and even the neck, can be treated with liposuction at the same time, to complete your body contouring.
- We often perform a labiaplasty procedure during a mummy makeover.
- Eyelift surgery is also common in the combination, especially blepharoplasty surgery to improve any eyelid droop, which is understandable, especially after all the late nights that Mums typically experience!
Is it safe to undergo such a large operation?
Yes, it is absolutely safe given that you are fit, with a healthy lifestyle and a low BMI (body mass index).
To ensure your safety:-
- You will have a full medical screening prior to your surgery.
- Our Anaesthetists are highly skilled and with the advances of modern anaesthesia (delivering total intravenous anaesthesia) will make your sleeping journey not only pleasant but also very safe.
- We work in a team of 2 cosmetic surgeons, so we make sure that the surgical time is minimised, which is associated with less complications.
- You have full medical support in your post-op journey and specialised surgical support to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
I never had kids, can I still have a mummy makeover?
Absolutely, although it was coined as a phrase for conditions that a lot of Mums experience, a mummy makeover is not just for mums! Whether you have many children or none at all, you can benefit from the combination of surgeries called the mummy makeover.
If you’ve lost loads of weight and you are concerned about loose abdominal skin while at the same time you want to improve how your breasts look, then most certainly you are a good candidate for it.
When is a mummy makeover not advised?
You will NOT be able to have such a procedure if you are overweight with a BMI above 30, if you are an active smoker or you vape, if you are diabetic with poor health or you have cardiac disease, taking anti-coagulants, skin healing disorders, or have a history of stroke or clots in your legs and lungs. Also, we always inform our patients that this is not a weight-loss surgery but aims to remove excess skin and offer a beautiful body contour.
How long do I stay in the hospital and what is the post-op like?
You will need to stay in the hospital for a minimum of one night and in certain cases up to two nights. Following that you will be discharged home with:
- Abdominal or body binders and a special supportive bra.
- All the required medications and pain-killers.
- In cases of a breast lift or breast reduction, you will be discharged with the special breast vacuum dressing that stays on for a week.
- A full plan of your appointments for wound checks
- A thorough aftercare sheet that will guide you on everything that you need for the next weeks including advice on showering, mobilising (moving around), driving, exercising etc
Giving birth and then raising a family are two of the most wonderful things in life and we really appreciate all those wonderful mums out there.
It is common, however, after completing your family to struggle to get your body back into shape and it is normal for this to affect your confidence. We feel that you deserve the best and we are here to listen to your concerns.
If you think that you have tried everything at the gym and with diets and you are still not happy with your changed body and breasts, you might be a great candidate for a mummy makeover.
If you are unhappy with your body changes after pregnancy and childbirth, don’t suffer in silence, come and talk to us.
How much is a mummy makeover?
Please see our price range page to find out the potential cost of your cosmetic surgery, as everyone is different. All our clinics provide free, on-site parking.
Click here for Mummy Makeover and other cosmetic surgery procedure prices.
We are happy to provide you with a total and transparent price once we have seen you at your in-person consultation at our hospitals in Spire Manchester or at The Wilmslow Hospital in Cheshire or even our newest hospital, at Aset, where we look after our Liverpool patients.
From time to time we do mini-consultations @DDClinical in Chester city centre. Keep an eye out for events news on our Instagram and Facebook pages.
More mummy makeover Manchester questions
We also get asked many other questions around price, such as what is your mummy makeover cost, on a regular basis.
We do need to see you beforehand for a private consultation as everyone is different, we all have different body shapes, skin types, specific questions and aspirations so that you can be thoroughly assessed and ensure this cosmetic surgery is right for you.
You can find out what we’ve been up to and receive regular before and after photos by clicking on the links below then liking or following us on:
and from time to time
Mummy makeover Manchester reviews
If you would like to see all our Manchester cosmetic surgery reviews and have the best cosmetic surgery in the North West then please click below.
If you would like to find out more about your breast enlargement surgery with breast implants, or simply would like a chat about it, then call or text Jayne. There will be no pressure and no hard sell – just an initial chat.
In office hours – To contact Jayne, our Clinic Manager, text or call 07434 572794 and she will come back to you shortly.
For out of office hours – please complete our contact form, by clicking the link here.
You can also book your consultation direct with Jayne if you’d like to see Mr Lambe or Dr Apostolos, Manchester plastic surgeons, face to face so that you can achieve THE MOST BEAUTIFUL YOU
We can’t wait to hear from you!